LinkedIn

My Thoughts On Reading 7 : LJ3

    After reading this weeks chapter I'm learning how fast we are shifting as a society and as consumers. It is always interesting to me to see how consumers grow and morph based on the techniques businesses use to market products. For example with Tik Tok blowing up, shorter and less substantial videos are more popular. As a consumer, it is nice to get straight to the point rather than sitting through a long winded and fluffed up vlog about someones boring day and then boom, a random add is thrown in. Maybe I'm just brainwashed by capitalism, but I too can't sit through a long video. For my tiny brain, I need like 3 minutes max or my mind will short circuit. It is cool however to see social media marketing grow to multiple media sourced. Twitter was already a huge platform, but now that is national and used by almost everyone- the marketing on Twitter is unmatched. I also thought it was funny that the book mentioned Snapchat spectacles, mostly because they flopped and only huge fancy "influencers" ended up getting them. 

    As for the Meta, don't even get me started. Mark Zuckerberg is insane for doing what he is doing. Everyone is well aware Facebook is phasing out because it is deemed for "old folk". Really though, I have not meet a single young person who is on Facebook- it's just millennials sharing minion memes with a corny quote like "Yuck! Just stepped in a big pile of Monday!" (this is real by the way). Anyways, the MetaVerse idea is a last ditch effort to stay relevant and it won't work for his target audience as the average age of Facebook users is "40.5 years old" (Phillips, 2016).

    Now, with all these insane tech advances and a push towards technological innovation, I'm super excited! I love the idea of advancing technologically. I think we have so much room to grow and I think they will only help me in my career goals for myself. Especially from a marketing perspective considering "news and information diffuse either from one point to another, or from one point to many other points" (Lipschultz, 2021) so having more sources, platforms, and outlets for people to use will only benefit me. I want to be in graphic design and marketing so advancing as a whole technologically will only help me!

For giggles, here is the actual meme:


Works Cited: 

Lipschultz, J. H. (2021). Social media communication: Concepts, practices, data, law 4 and ethics (3rd Edition). New York, NY: Routledge. 

Phillips, J. L. (2016, October 26). What is the breakdown of facebook users by age? Small Business - Chron.com. Retrieved February 26, 2022, from https://smallbusiness.chron.com/breakdown-facebook-users-age-63280.html 


Comments

  1. Hi Marla,
    I really enjoy your post as well as the formatting and layout of your blog. I agree with you, Mark Zuckerberg's plans for Meta do seem a bit crazy. I am curious as to how much of it will we see in the next few months and by the end of the year. I can't imagine Facebook being resurrected and used by anyone else but older generations. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea facebook is phasing out, marketplace on facebook is still thriving due to the fact that you have to pay craigslist to post an ad on their platform. The metaverse or the concept will be a huge market in the future but not as a social platform. Tick tock I believe is mostly famous for it's short or short story like interface, facebook owns instagram which I don't see phasing out anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marla
    Living in a virtual state may make distinguishing between the actual and virtual worlds challenging. It will be difficult to strike a balance between giving kids and adults ample time in the metaverse while avoiding addicted behavior. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Marla,
    It's interesting you said you want to be in marketing, that was my first degree when I got to USF and all I could think about while reading was the ways that it benefits marketers. Like with the technological advances our jobs become more important for targeting and using the algorithm to sell products such as on instagram. I also talked about how our attention spans are shrinking and how tik tok became so popular by using these things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marla, it is so crazy how technology is advancing and the facebook example is a great example. The social media sites young adults use now will most likely be losing more audience within the next 10 years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts