LinkedIn

Social Media Influencers: LJ7

     What is the first thing you think of when you hear the word "YouTube"? Ads. Ads have been slowly moving in the direction of marketing towards younger people through what this generation calls influencers. These folks are normally highly into themselves so much that their confidence makes people so jealous they will buy any product to resemble them. Don't even get me started about the toxicity that is social media and "influencers" by the way, claiming a product works by photoshopping the result... Great marketing ploy. Truly though, these influencers can sell just about anything. Them going on Tik Tok or Twitter showing off a product does wonders for a business. People like the Kardashians can sell out a product single handed. 

    It is crazy to think that social media has become a massive ploy for marketing. Thinking that they were invented to keep people connected, they are now used to make money. So many ads are on various social medias and the entire idea around using that platform to gain traction, followers and money is insane. It is very interesting to see how things grow and manipulate in order to suit the needs of businesses. Nowadays, if a business doesn't have social media people think of it as being odd. It is almost like having a social media presence or being supported by a Tik Tok dancer makes you more consumable and trust worthy.

    From a marketing viewpoint though, it truly is genius. Seeing how kids consume social media the most, it helps them grow into a consumer that wants to purchase anything someone they look up to is using. The more you pay attention to it the more you notice it as well. Tons of videos on Tik Tok are solely for a marketing purpose. I have bought quite a bit of things after seeing them online, so I can say wholeheartedly; it works. I would like to think I am a smart consumer though, I never buy something without doing extensive research, even after seeing someone I like use it. Just because I know that promoting a product means that the promoter will be making some money too. So they could have never used it themselves but continue to sell it. This relates back to the previous reading on ethics and how social media truly lacks it.


Comments

  1. Hi Marla, the whole social media realm seems very toxic when overused. It becomes very concerning when people begin to compare themselves so much that they become very jealous. It amazes me when I see how serious it can become and how successful some influencers become from profiting off of other people's insecurities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marla,
    I enjoyed reading your post. Your ideas are very organized and well presented adding pictures was a great move to support you main idea. Just like I work in sales and my job depends a lot on marketing products for me personally I think that the media is a great tool to market products. however, not every products is made for everyone and for all ages! therefore I think that for kids social media should only be accessed with a parent. Overall, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marla, I agree with the whole skepticism when viewing products that are being marketed online. Knowing that now in days everyone seems to be getting paid for promoting and profitting of everything, If i see something interesting, I always do research on the product.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts